⚡ Welcome to The weekly authoritythe Android authority Newsletter that breaks down the top Android and tech news of the week. The 197th edition here, with this Pixel 7 prototype, foldable Galaxy specs, Final Fantasy 16 updates and some good news for coffee drinkers.
🎉This week marked the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations here in the UK (the first British monarch to celebrate 70 years of service!) so I enjoyed the two day National Day and we had a street party here in town!
Popular news this week
- Top Gun: Mavericks Memorial Day weekend opener grossed $124 million at the box office last Sunday night ($248 million worldwide).
- The third season of “The Boys” premiered on Amazon Prime Video on Friday and February 27 first reviews are here.
- and The creators of Stranger Things answer burning questions before volume 2 (spoiler alert if you haven’t played through volume 1 yet!).
- In the meantime, Netflix’s new approach to password sharing is a confusing mess in test markets in Costa Rica, Chile and Peru.
- Speaking of Netflix, a Trailer for new action comedy The Man From Toronto releasedwith Kevin Hart and Woody Harrelson.
- Owen Wilson’s superhero film is coming to Paramount Plus: but no official release date for Secret Headquarters yet.
- Spider haters look away now: An Arachnophobia remake is in the workswith Christopher Landon on board to direct, James Wan and Michael Clear credited as producers.
- And: Beavis and Butt-Head Do The Universe get a release datePremieres on Paramount Plus June 23 – plus there’s a followerand a new revival series coming later this year.
- We ranked Sam Raimi movies from worst to best, including Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.
- Also this week, our picks for the best new streaming movies, from 13 Going on 30 to Colossal.
- Bad news for Diablo fans: many of Samsung’s Exynos-powered phones can’t run Diablo Immortal, but Blizzard is working on a fix.
- speaking of Diablo Immortal will not be released in Belgium or the Netherlandsdue to countries’ laws regarding loot boxes.
- Steam deck docking station delayed indefinitely with Valve, citing “part shortages and COVID closures.”
- And Amazon is finally launching an invitation system to buy a PS5 or Xbox Series X.
- The Summer Game Fest announces the lineup from over 30 participating companies, which takes place from June 9th to 12th.
- In the meantime, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order sequel is coming next year it will just be the next generation.
- The first The trailer for Modern Warfare 2 has landed ahead of the full gameplay reveal on June 8th.
- and The art of Modern Warfare 2 is sparking speculation across the Call of Duty platform — Could the game return to Steam?
- BioWare confirms the next big fantasy RPG title — Dragon Age: Dreadwolf, but don’t expect it this year.
- Veteran Square Enix producer Shinji Hashimoto is retiring – often credited with creating the Kingdom Hearts franchise, he also worked on FF VIII, FF IX and The World Ends With You as well as the sequel.
- Sony goes all out when it comes to live service games after buying Bungie — according to TechCrunch The company expects to spend 49% of its PlayStation Studios development budget on live service games by the end of the year.
- and One of Japan’s most respected game developers is developing a game for Apple‘s subscription service: Yu Suzuki and his team are working on Air Twister, which will be released on June 24th.
- Likewise: This interview with Tim Sweeney, CEO of Epic Games dive into Fortnite, the Metaverse and more…
Hadlee Simons / Android Authority
- Vivo X80 Pro review: The best of Vivo, (mostly) refined – “It doesn’t reinvent the wheel, but it’s still a welcome upgrade over its already great predecessor.”
- Samsung Galaxy A52s review: Jack of all trades – A high-end build, an excellent display, long battery life and long-term software support make this easy to recommend.
- Huawei Watch GT 3 Pro review: Titanium, ceramic, and compromises – “Lots to offer, but hampered by too many software bugs, lack of features at launch, and an extremely limited third-party app ecosystem unless you’re planning on investing at a Huawei phone to stay. ”
- Fossil Gen 5 smartwatch review: An oldie but a goodie – The best Wear OS 2 watch you can buy.
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra Review: The power user’s best friend – “In addition to top specs and fully supported, feature-rich software, the Galaxy S22 Ultra offers the S Pen and a wealth of productivity tools unmatched by the competition.”
Gary Sims / Android Authority
This week brought us PlayStation’s latest State of Play many Stay tuned, including Final Fantasy 16 news:
If you missed it, you can do it catch up herebut otherwise read on for anything you missed:
- Things started with a new one Trailer for Resident Evil 4 Remake, which we expected but were still excited about. Coming March 24, 2023, it will be in development for PSVR2 and will be released for PC and Xbox Series X/S.
- PSVR2 news continued with a look at Resident Evil Village – It looks a bit scary to me to be honest, but kudos to anyone brave enough to play it! The horror was followed by another spooky title, The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners Ch2, and we also got a glimpse of a VR version of No Man’s Sky.
- But the PSVR2 trailer everyone wanted to see was a first look horizon call of the mountainwith amazing looking gameplay – plus news of a new patch for Horizon Forbidden West that landed on Thursday.
Everything you need to know about PlayStation Plus
- Now for the news I’m most looking forward to: We have a Stray release date! It’s coming on July 19th! We also have another follower that showed some gameplay. Oh, and it will be included as part of higher PlayStation Plus tiers.
- What else? Spider-Man is coming to PC on August 12, Miles Morales to follow soon.
- We saw a trailer for Survival Horror The Callisto Protocolwhich is giving us some serious Dead Space vibes and is out on December 2nd.
- plus rollerdromComing August 16th: The sci-fi roller derby game looks pretty fun – and anime action/dating sim ages lands in early 2023.
- In case you missed it: street fighter 6 Take a look inside and see new character Jamie coming along in 2023 alongside Luke, Chun-Li and Ryu Xbox Series X/S and PC versions also on the go.
- The critically acclaimed tunic Coming to PS4 and PS5 on September 27th Season: A Letter to the Future looks incredibly intriguing and coming this fall.
- But the biggest update everyone has been waiting for was the news of Final Fantasy XVI. We have a short film, next to a Summer 2023 release window. I can’t. Waiting.
- June 6th to 10th: Apple WWDC 2022
- June 9-12: Summer Game Festival
- June 10th: The Quarry releases on PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X, Xbox One
- June 10th: Jurassic World Dominion in theaters
- 12th of June: Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase @ 12 p.m. CT
- 20-23 June: Collision (Toronto)
- June 26 – July 3: Summer games done quickly
- July 5 at 8:00 p.m. ET: Introducing the Asus ROG Phone 6
- July 19: Stray lands on PS5, PS4, PC
Tech tweet of the week
Some DALL-E 2 Kermit The Frog-inspired goodness – The Sopranos is pretty awesome:
Paula Beaton, Editor.