Home Somerset county Frank Lampard accused by FA over Merseyside derby comments

Frank Lampard accused by FA over Merseyside derby comments


Everton boss Frank Lampard has been charged by the Football Association following his comments following his side’s defeat in the Merseyside derby last month.

Lampard claimed Liverpool would have been kicked if Mohamed Salah went down like Anthony Gordon did in a challenge that referee Stuart Attwell did not penalise.

Gordon, who had been booked for diving in the first half at Anfield, went down after apparent contact from Joel Matip but Attwell did not award a penalty or show a second yellow card.

The Toffees then contacted the Professional Match Referees Council for the second time this season with concerns over the decision.

Lampard said in his post-match interview: “It’s a penalty for me. You don’t get them here. If it was Mo Salah at the other end, he gets a penalty. I don’t don’t try to create a conflict; it’s just the reality of football.

“I’ve played in teams in the first half of the league – you understand them. It was a penalty for sure. It’s a clear foul.”

The FA objected to the comments, citing an implication of “bias and/or damage to the integrity of the match referee or referees in general”.

An FA statement read: “Frank Lampard has been charged with breaching FA rule E3 in relation to post-match media comments he made following Everton’s Premier League game FC against Liverpool FC on Sunday 24 April.

Frank Lampard was unhappy with the refereeing in Everton’s loss at Anfield (Peter Byrne/PA)

“It is alleged that the manager’s comments constitute inappropriate conduct as they involve bias and/or attack the integrity of the match referee – or referees in general – and/or bring the game into disrepute contrary to FA Rule E3.1.

“Frank Lampard has until Monday, May 9, 2022 to provide an answer.”

In March, the club received an apology, following another formal complaint, from PGMOL chief Mike Riley following the failure to award a handball to Rodri in the home loss to Man City.

On that occasion, referee Paul Tierney was blindsided and VAR Chris Kavanagh ruled there was not enough evidence to show the ball hit City midfielder in the arm despite TV replays quite conclusive.